Sunday, April 11, 2010

Disposable

I have found it very difficult to write my contribution to the blog. I am usually a very task oriented person and get commitments completed early. Then I don’t have to think about them any more. This has not been the case with the most current blog. I have found myself avoiding my computer, for if I am there I should sit and write my blog. If I sit and write my blog, then I have to look at the feelings I am experiencing. May of these feelings are rooted in deep anger and hurt. I really would prefer not to look at or feel them. I do not enjoy turmoil or pain. I would rather experience peace, tranquility, and joy.

I know what it is like to struggle emotionally and financially, I know what it is like to feel abandoned. When I see other people experiencing this it makes these memories and feeling come to the surface for me. I hurt and I get angry. I feel empathy for them.

It is upsetting to see adults only thinking about their own wants, usually in the form of self gratification, shunning their responsibilities. They don’t think about the impact of their actions on the people around them, their spouse, children, family, friends, and community. All they think about is their “wants” and not the “needs” of others. Or is it they just don’t care.

Of course people who don’t think about the ramifications of their actions are not truly adults. They are children. Children in a candy store grabbing treats, and toys for self fulfillment. They are thieves who steal the emotional wellbeing and security of everyone around them. They are spoiled children, bullies, and criminals. They do irreparable harm to the innocent.

We live in the disposable generation. If we don’t want it anymore we throw it out. Give it away. Recycle it. Maybe someone else would like it. In our present society families and relationships are disposable also. Throw out the spouse and the kids, they will be fine. Don’t believe it, they will not be fine. They will experience a life time in mistrust, pain, and insecurity. And for what? Someone else’s happiness and gratification. How selfish is that! People are not stuff.

How many times in the Bible is the word touch used? Jesus healed by touching people. Did he hit, emotionally abuse, walk away? He embraced the sick, poor, homeless, widowed, outcast. He healed. We as Christians are supposed emulate Christ.

Jesse Manibusan, a local Christian song writer, says it best:

"Open My Eyes"

Based on Mark 8:22–25

Open my eyes, Lord.
Help me to see your face.
Open my eyes, Lord.
Help me to see.

Open my ears, Lord.
Help me to hear your voice.
Open my ears, Lord.
Help me to hear.

Open my heart, Lord.
Help me to love like you.
Open my heart, Lord.
Help me to love.

Bridge
And the first shall be last,
and our eyes are opened,
and we'll hear like never before.
And we'll speak in new ways,
and we'll see God's face
in places we've never known.

I live within you.
Deep in your heart, O Love.
I live within you.
Rest now in me.


This link shows Jesse performing his song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbihOyKIvi8&feature=related

Let us open our eyes and follow Christ’s teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment