Sunday, July 26, 2009

Peace


by Kyle Wiseley

One of the blessings of this summer for me has been the development of our community garden. The raised beds are well-constructed and pleasing to the eye. Rich, dark soil has been added. Although we got a late start, things are growing rapidly and everything looks particularly hardy and healthy. Since the garden is literally right outside my door I have taken on the responsibility of watering it daily. I usually wait until the sun has slipped behind the tall trees over by Towle Avenue and the air is starting to cool. Usually there is a breeze. I find something spiritually nourishing in the task. Not only am I performing a service for some of the other participants so they don’t have to come daily to water their plots, but I also get to develop an individual relationship with the plants themselves. Because they are growing so rapidly, they each take on distinctly unique characteristics. It is almost as if each has its own personality and is consciously striving to live out its purpose. I find in the environment an atmosphere of deep peace and a sense of the presence of our common Creator.

This feeling extends to the Labyrinth Garden as well, where I frequently go and sit for a few minutes after my watering chores are finished. There also is the feeling of purposeful growth, and although there are noises of traffic and neighboring households in the background, the sense of the peaceful presence of a loving Creator is the primary feeling as I sit and meditate or just simply soak up the beauty of the place.

A number of our members are expending much time and effort in maintain the Labyrinth Garden and because I live within sight of it I notice it being used by others from the neighborhood.

I am gratified that our congregation has been instrumental in providing such a place to share with the wider community. In the frenetic chaos that makes up so much of our contemporary culture, it is wonderful to find such a spiritual oasis. I invite you to come and share in its blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment