Sunday, July 12, 2009

About Twelve


by Ian Doescher


During a preaching class in seminary, I was introduced to Fred Craddock, a preaching professor, long-time pastor and author who is a wizard of storytelling in his sermons. His book, Craddock Stories, arrived for me in the mail a few days ago, and I’ve just finished reading through it. Here is one of his stories:


I remember one night, sitting in a little rural church on a Sunday night. It was a summer meeting, so it was hot, and the window was open beside my pew. The minister was preaching on his favorite text, “Be not the first by whom the new is tried, because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and it’s better to be safe than sorry, because fools rush in where angels fear to tread.”


I was listening to him drone away when a man came by the church building and stopped by the window and said, “Psst, psst.”


I said, “What is it? I’m listening to the sermon.”


He said, “Come with me.”


I said, “Where are you going?”


He said, “I know where there is a pearl of great price that’s more valuable than all the other pearls in the world.”


I said, “There’s no such thing.”


He said, “In fact, where I’m going, there is treasure buried in a field.”


I said, “You’re kidding!”


He said, “Where I’m going, bums are invited to sit down at the king’s table.”


I said, “That’s ridiculous.”


He said, “In fact, they give great big parties for prodigals who come home.”


I said, “That’s stupid.” Well, I listened to the rest of the sermon and after it was over, I told the preacher about how I was disturbed and that I hoped it didn’t upset him during the sermon.


He said, “Who was that?”


I said, “I don’t know. Telling me all this fancy stuff.”


He said, “Well, was he getting anybody?”


And I said, “Well, none of our crowd went, but I noticed he had about twelve with him.”


Thank God for the prophets in our midst who push us, as the church, to be better, to do better, who help us to ask: what if church really were like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment