Sunday, March 29, 2009

Degrees of Separation


by Julia Graves


I get forwarded mails from some people. It is not that I don’t enjoy an interesting or funny email from time to time. I have also been known to forward one I find worthy of sharing. I do try to add a short caption to the addressee saying “thought you would enjoy this” or something along that line. So I am saying hello too rather than just adding their name to a list and forwarding. It feels more personal to me.


The thing is, this is only way I hear from these people. They never say hello or ask how I am doing. Just press the forward button after adding my email address to the email. They must need to forward it to ten people or more people to make their quota.


I have started looking at the email addresses of other people on the forwarded email. Many of them I know through groups I have belonged to. Again most of them I no longer hear from since I no longer am involved with that group. It makes me feel good to know they are well enough to be receiving email.


The other day I received an exceptional email. One I felt was worthy of forwarding. I added my “this is really cool, thought you would enjoy it” and sent it to several people I thought would appreciate its message.


The next day I received a forwarded email from my mother. The original email was from my Aunt who lives up on the Sound in Washington State. Apparently, my Mother had forwarded her the email. She had read the addresses from my email and wanted to know how I knew a certain individual. It seams my Aunt and Uncle have know this person and their parents for years.


The person on the email is a couple I met over two years ago here at St Luke’s. I started thinking about degrees of separation. If I know these people, and my Aunt and Uncle know these people, is it one degree of separation?


Then I started thinking of what I think of this couple. They made an impression on my Aunt and Uncle. To me, they are without a doubt the nicest people I have ever met. They live a truly Christian life. Walk the walk, not just talk the talk. In a return email to my Aunt I even said they should be Sainted.


This made me begin to wonder how people perceive me and my actions. Through technology word travels fast. Word of mouth travels fast. What do my actions tell others? Am I spreading the word of Christ through my actions? Or am I just talking and not walking?


It is the season of Lent and a time of reflection. May we use this time of Lent to reflect on our lives, make adjustment, and used this time on earth to emulate God.

No comments:

Post a Comment