Sunday, March 22, 2009

For God So Loved the World...


by Ian Doescher


Today’s readings included (among other things) the famous John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” As I reflected on this passage, trying to hear it with fresh ears, I realized that the opening part of the sentence, “For God so loved the world,” is almost perfect in itself. We can stop there, assured of God’s incredible love for the world. I’m reminded of a friend of mine who once had the following pre-bedtime conversation with her six year old son:


Son: I love you, Mama.


Mother: I love you too.


Son: But I only love you most of the time.


Mother: Well, I love you *all* of the time.


Son: Really, you love me all of the time?


Mother: Yes, I do.


Son: That’s AMAZING.


God’s love is like that, amazing. “For God so loved the world.” But the other thing I realized is that almost any good news you can possibly think of can come after that statement. “For God so loved the world that my husband’s cancer has gone into remission.” “For God so loved the world that my six-month-old daughter just got her first tooth.” “For God so loved the world that two warring nations have come together in peace.”


Yesterday, I found out that a dear friend’s brother, whose name is Owen, has just been released from the hospital. Owen has been battling necrotizing fasciitis, better known as flesh-eating bacteria, but was able to overcome the disease and is now leaving the hospital, on his way home where the hard work of recovery and physical therapy will begin. But his life is no longer in danger.


Two and a half years ago, we watched as Reverend Jennifer’s mother Sarah died--at age 51--after having contracted necrotizing fasciitis. It is a form of God’s unexpected yet grace-filled healing to see this my friend’s brother Owen have a different outcome.


“For God so loved the world that we remember Sarah with joy.”

“For God so loved the world that Owen is leaving the hospital.”

“For God so loved the world...”

No comments:

Post a Comment